Injured in a Car Accident?
Local Houston Auto Accident Lawyers Represent Victims
Car accidents are an unfortunate all-too-common event in our daily lives. It is likely that you or someone close to you has been involved in an auto accident at some point. Accidents can range from minor — with only cosmetic damages done to vehicles — to catastrophic crashes that often lead to wrongful death. More often than not, car accidents are the result of the actions of a negligent driver. If you and/or the passenger of your car have suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of another driver, then know that you have legal rights and options — and experienced Houston auto accident lawyers on your side to fight for you.
The Houston auto accident lawyers at Tilton & Tilton, LLP have been representing wrongfully injured individuals throughout the Houston area for several years. Our experienced car accident attorneys strive to minimize the effects of an auto accident by aggressively fighting for compensation to cover damages in the form of pain and suffering as well as medical treatment incurred by the victim. We bring the same level of dedicated quality to each and every case and work tirelessly to ensure our clients receive a favorable outcome. Further, our firm works on a contingency fee basis — this means that we do not get paid unless you do.
What Do I Do If I Was Involved in an Automobile Accident?
Being involved in an automobile accident can be a stressful event. This stress stems from not only from being injured in the accident itself, but from dealing with insurance companies as well. An insurance adjuster’s job is to ensure that the insurance company they work for pays out as little as possible. Seeking professional legal representation can help ease the stress of your situation as qualified Houston auto accident lawyers will handle all the hassle of dealing with insurance companies for you. Further, a car accident lawyer can help determine the truth of the matter — therefore determining liability — and understands how to make the insurance companies come forward with an appropriate amount.
Additionally, if you are able to at the scene of the accident, it is helpful — if not necessary to your case — to collect the following information and evidence:
- Seek medical attention for the injured. If anyone requires medical attention, then it is imperative to call 911. Whatever you do, do not move the person as they may have sustained a spinal injury. Even if no one is injured, you should still call the police, as you will need a police report.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. Make sure all information is legible and correct. Put the information somewhere safe and secure where you will not lose it. You will need it later.
- Obtain the contact information of eyewitnesses who saw the accident occur. They may be needed to testify should the case end up going to court. If they took any pictures or video of the accident, see if they will send them to you.
- Take pictures of the damage done to both cars, any injuries sustained by you and/or your passenger plus any damage done to the surrounding area (ex: traffic light poles, guardrails etc.). A car accident attorney may be able to help you secure camera footage from a nearby traffic signal, if applicable.
- Call your insurance. Filing a timely claim, including reporting any injuries, to your insurance company will help your case in the long run. However, decline to give an official statement until you have time to consult a lawyer.
- After calling your insurance, it is recommended that you seek the legal counsel of experienced Houston auto accident lawyers. They will be able to help you determine the details of your case, who is liable and whether you have the grounds to file a personal injury claim or not.
What Are Some of the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
There are over 200,000 reported car accident injuries each year — not including 3,000 wrongful death cases. In fact, according to TxDOT, “there were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2016”. Sadly, while a responsible driver can do everything right, it only takes a split second for a life to change on behalf of a negligent driver. The following are a few of the most commonly reported causes of car accidents nationwide:
- Speeding. This includes general speeding as well as accidents where drivers were going too fast for the current road or weather conditions, causing a collision. Car accidents involving high speeds are often the ones that result in wrongful death the most often.
- Failure to obey rules, signs and signals of the road. All road signs exist for a reason — to preserve not only your own safety, but the safety of everyone else around you as well. When drivers fail to obey official road signage such as yield and stop signs they are putting themselves and others at risk of being involved in a car accident.
- Wrong way driving. Head on collisions are some of the most commonly reported types of car accidents across the country. They are often the result of someone driving the wrong way either due to crossing the center line into oncoming traffic or simply failing to obey road signs.
- Driving under the influence. While most drivers are under the influence of alcohol in these cases, “intoxication” is defined as being under the influence of either (or both) drugs or alcohol. Driving while intoxicated is illegal, so the driver may face criminal charges. However, you may still file a civil claim to recover compensation as a victim.
- Distracted driving. Although many states have tried to combat these accidents from occurring by instituting “hands-free” driving laws, accidents due to distracted driving are quickly becoming one of the most commonly reported accidents on the road today, unfortunately. Examples of distracted driving include texting, talking or looking at social media on your phone while driving.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Texas through no fault of your own, then contact our experienced Houston auto accident lawyers. We have the experience to quickly and efficiently resolve your case while ensuring that you receive the compensation that you deserve. Our car accident attorneys are familiar with typical injuries in auto accidents— including injuries that do not become apparent until after the accident.
Wrongfully Injured in a Car Accident? Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
If you have been involved and subsequently injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence, you likely feel overwhelmed, stressed and frustrated. Furthermore, you can expect your stress to build when dealing with aggressive insurance companies trying to get you — the victim — to either make a statement or agree to a quick low-value settlement. Before you talk to them, it is highly recommended that you speak with an experienced car accident attorney who will ensure that your rights are protected.
Put your trust in a Houston law firm that puts people first. At Tilton & Tilton, LLP, we are only interested in providing legal assistance that meets your best interests. We are not here to tell clients what to do with their lives, but instead give them sound legal guidance and counsel that will help better their situation (both currently and in the future). During a complimentary consultation, one of our Houston auto accident lawyers will listen to the details of your case and give you advice on how to proceed. Should you decide to work with us, you and your attorney will then get to work on designing a legal strategy that addresses your specific legal needs. It is our goal to never leave you with unanswered questions.