The holiday season can be a great time for family and friends to come together and celebrate, but it can also be a dangerous time for motorists. According to the National Safety Council, traffic accidents are responsible for killing an average of 343 people each year during the three-day Christmas holiday period. In addition, traffic accidents kill an average of 373 people each year during the New Year’s holiday period.
5 Causes of Holiday Car Crashes in Houston
- Drowsy driving. Many families take road trips across the state or country to visit their loved ones during the holidays. However, road trips can be dangerous if the driver isn’t prepared for the long journey. Getting plenty of sleep is crucial before getting on the road for a long period of time. Drivers can also avoid drowsy driving by pulling over at rest stops to take naps.
- Drunk driving. Holiday parties lead to lots of drinking. Drivers are three times more likely to experience a drunk driving accident during the holiday months than during any other time of the year. It is crucial that motorists don’t drink and drive. Sober drivers must also stay vigilant on the road to avoid or even report drunk motorists.
- Distracted driving. Holiday road trips can get distracting, especially if there are kids in the car. For travelers with kids, it is important to limit as many distractions as possible. Handheld games or other activities can keep children occupied so they do not cause distractions. Drivers should also leave their phones off or on silent. Texting while driving is a leading cause of car accidents.
- Speeding. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, speeding is responsible for 70 percent of fatal car accidents. Don’t ever speed, especially when there is heavy congestion on the road. It is also extremely dangerous to drive faster than weather conditions permit.
- Poor road conditions. The holiday season also brings heavy winter weather. Combined with longer nights and shorter days, visibility and road traction will be limited. You should prepare your vehicle for these conditions before departing on your journey. In addition, plan your trip accordingly so you are not caught in bad weather or traffic conditions.
If you or a loved one suffered harm during a holiday car accident, then the personal injury attorneys at Tilton & Tilton LLP can help you determine possible options for recovering compensation. Contact us for a free consultation.